Sunday, May 26, 2013


DEATH MOCKERY

I was spawned in death on earth
Born with a heart that births pain
And I have lived all day long alone
My chest is a furnace and my heart is the fire
The world feeds me coal and bellows cries in this pit
Screaming tongues of flames in my frame
Charring my bones and singeing my flesh
I cough out the ashes and choke on the embers
Yet my soul is a spring, streams into steam
What life is left over is kindling an alter.

The past ashes stored in my present urn
Turn out not to be vases but cisterns of water
I thought the flames scorched my cornea and tunneled my vision
When really a blanket of water clouded my sight
While I am submerged six feet under, plundering deep
Torrent, flood, flash, rain
And then I realize the coals aren’t rocks,
They’re seeds and the flames are trees
Now I forgot to breathe!

Anchored to what ground I can’t find, I swim
Limbless, limp, I’m crying a wimp 
But the tears aren’t mine and the walls are skin
The stern of the boat (my impending death)
Is flint that's fluttering, white curtains in light
Gasping, air, open, breeze
Heaven’s doors break open and my heart comes alive
Life.

I’m alive and the fire’s a furnace
Refining my sword and welding my bones
These flames are my fuel, ignition for mission
I laugh at the fighters and extinguish their lighters
I shout, “how can your flames wield power
When you cannot sting this strong tower?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment