Tuesday, February 19, 2013


THERE I AM GOLDEN, BE MY FOREVER

You are not the full moon I saw last summer,
That caused me to pull my car over in mesmerization.
You are not that orange sunset that was 
So cinematic I couldn’t believe it wasn’t on a screensaver.
You are not that rushing waterfall of Gullfoss 
That was so huge I became like a chorus member
To a production un-wanting of a spectator’s exposure.
You are not the rolling, grassy greens of
Ireland that made me wish I knew Gaelic. 
You are not the explosive Geyser that shattered rocks and
Sculpted earth and splashed spectators
That so tantalizingly watched the Hankadalur Valley.
You are not the full, double rainbow that rose
In the east and set in the west over the
Leaning, golden wheat field of Aichtal that
So perfectly reflected the Lord’s promise of sun.

You are not the misty smoke of a fully packed,
Fully toked pipe of sunset rum I had,
While I played chess and listened to 
‘I and Love and You’ for the very first time.
You are not that summer downpour I drank to
In my garage on a wooden stool so as 
To escape the crowded, congested halls of the house.
You are not the violent thunderstorm I listened to
On my front porch that I tried to take pictures of
But couldn’t capture because its splendor
Was un-foretelling and sporadically spastic.
You are not the cloudless blue sky we all
Hope for but hardly ever experience because that
Cloud as small as a man’s hand always claims the corner.

You are not the morning rays of the sun that
Cover my body from the small bathroom window
At the only moment that the sun can shine through,
Nor the rays that revive my body when I crave enlightened height.
You are not the crashing waves during February
Of the black beach I experience in Reykjavik while
I was young and too unlearned to understand.
You are not the hot, yellow sand that I longed to 
Breathe in Almería after four long, lonely winters.
You are not the piles of autumn leaves we 
Jumped in as children after our parents slavishly 
Threw their backs raking after Sunday school.
You are not the still, calm lake of a wake zone,
Un-grazed by the selfish tail of a manmade gliding machine,
That really should have been littered by whitecaps and
Waves and logs and hurricane fallen trees.

You are not the trickling creak we crossed when chasing 
A gecko with bare feet after we let our
Ice cream become victim to the asphalt blaze.
You are not the jagged mountain rocks in Keflavík
That reminded me of cookies and cream ice cream
Because of the way the white snow never melted
But always blended so perpetually in the black volcanic rock.
You are not the steep cliffs that we saw on postcards
But never went to because we were too busy trespassing
On the mossy stones of the ruined castle off the curvy path.
You are not the beautiful, terrifying white blizzard
That scoffed at our van as we tried to crawl
Through the rocky, narrow roads of Iceland
But were met instead by the foreign tongue of a 
Friendly man that probably wanted to impart his praise.

You are not the orange, red wood that crackles
With noise and dances in flames on a warm
Summer’s night, filled with acoustic guitars and 2-4 beats.
You are not the meteor shower or shooting start
That I wished upon under God’s ceiling of bright lights
Which we’d try to imitate as kids with plastics and blankets.
You are not the monumental tower of Eiffel metal
That I wanted to use as a jungle gym but 
Instead solved a Rubik’s Cube on, hoping I was the first.
You are not the deep purple ocean floor I
Retreated under when the pressure of the sun
Was too much to bear under sun-burnt shoulders.
You are not the crumbling walls and columns
Of a stadium built too large to handle the
Masses of snapping tourists it watches every year.

You are not the Black Forest I got lost in 
And found a colony of playground animals
While trying to find the rest of my friends
In an irrational, fearful, fleeting sprint.
You are not the khaki bridge over the body
That separated two former cities, now Buda to Pest.
You are not the serene Japanese Garden I walked through
With pants rolled up before stopping to stare,
At the most perfect red maple tree I had ever seen.
You are not the street I walked every Friday though,
Or drank wine from every Saturday, or
Stumbled in every Sunday after playing frisbee
With strange men with beards who never wore shoes,
And probably lived outside in nomadic tents.
You are not the organic sea of heads I so long
Identified with, while screaming to music too loud
With strangers too angry for my own good.
You are not the board that I kicked or I flipped
Or I slided and grinded instead of doing my maths homework.
You are not the roaring rapids of Dahlonega that
The big kids waded through while I secretly
Cowarded by the safe sands of the sideline.
You are not the warm saltwater spring that
I frequented as it snowed and swam through
When the winter winds had my skin too rough.

No, you are not any of these things because
Right here and right now I can touch you,
I can hold you, I can hear you, I can see you.
No, you are not these things because you are
Not gone nor past nor was nor finding nor not.
No, you are not these things because you are more
Than their sum and not less than their much.
No, because you are music, you are art,
You are poetry, prose, and un-sung song.
You are my hopeful, not hoped for, 
For you are here and you are now, 
And with you I am golden, by us are forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment